Thursday, February 2, 2012

Outreach to Washington DC


After spending less than 24 hours in Washington DC back in August, I knew I loved the city. What I didn't know was when I'd have the chance to see more than just the American History Museum. Fate was on my side, and I was back in DC to start our DTS outreach. Our time there was nothing short of amazing. The people, the places, the presence of God...well it was some of the best I've ever experienced. When you leave a place, and after only 2 weeks of being there they feel like your family, you know it was a good experience. We dedicated our time to the YWAM'ers there, led by Jason Hershey and his family. Their heart's cry is for the ending of abortion. We stood at the steps of the Supreme court with red tape on our mouths declaring LIFE, we pleaded with those in
 Heaven in the wee hours of the morning for the ending of the taking of innocent lives, and we kept a 24 hour prayer watch for 12 consecutive days to move God's heart to move the hearts of those in earthly power. Simply put, it was powerful. I've never received such hope in my life. God CAN change America. God WILL change America. BUT America will only be changed if there is a people willing to pray.
Seeing the monuments there was life changing for me when it comes to hope for my nation. No matter how immoral this nation becomes, those monuments with the Word of God written on them, will remain standing. The men who gave definition to this country will always be there testifying the goodness of God.
Jason and his family have been aspiring to start a 24/7 house of prayer in DC, and we were so lucky to be there to physically establish it with him. It is located in the roughest area of DC. Across the river, there is a place called Anacostia. A place that a lot of people who live in DC have never even been. A place ridden with crime, drugs and alcohol, and intolerance, but most importantly, a place ridden with hopelessness, despair, and a roughness only gained through the hard knock life. Thank God that our God is a God of redemption and restoration; a God that uses the weak to lead the strong. God is using Anacostia to change DC, and subsequently America. I love that God chose to birth this prayer house in a place that most wouldn't dare declare worthy. Jesus sees the value in everyone and everything. Taking the broken and making them whole is His specialty. Thank God because I wouldn't be sitting here writing this today if not.

The outreach ended on a rainy Monday afternoon, but the weather could not stop the event that culminated our time in DC, the March for Life. Thousands upon thousands of people gathered together to march down the streets of DC declaring that a person is a person no matter how small (kudos to Dr. Sues). After praying and worshiping for the ending of abortion with no more than 50 people at a time, it was so encouraging to see that we are not alone. People are willing to travel for miles and miles to declare that they are not okay with babies being murdered. I have to admit that before coming to DC, I knew I was pro-life, but that was the extent of my convictions. I don't think you can spend too much time around the Hershey's and stay that way. Now I wear a red band on my wrist that might just simply say "LIFE", but it's something that provokes me to pray for the ending of abortion every time it catches my eye. Thank God for opening my eyes to His heart on this issue.

Jason, his family, and the YWAM staff there were so inspirational. Their hearts are only for the Lord, and that's refreshing. We were also able to serve with a team from Kona, HI. Actually, it was the same DTS that I did there: Community Transformations. Being able to make even more new friends and serve along side them was just the cherry on top of an amazing outreach experience. Of all the places I've been, Washington DC is by far one of my favorites. Its people, its atmosphere, it has captured my heart, and I know that we will be seeing each other as often as God allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment