Monday, July 11, 2011

Ban Suk


Ban Suk is the name of a large Korean Methodist church here in Long Island. We at YWAM NY put on a summer camp for them at their church. There were inspiring teachings, Holy Spirit-filled worship sets, a Prayer Station outreach in the South Bronx, fun games complete with a slip-and-slide, and lots of delicious Korean food! I benefited so much from this week, but it wasn't an easy one to get through. We started out at about 6:30 every morning and ended around midnight or later. For those of you who know me, you know I love to sleep. It was hard for me to function around 60 kids with the amount of rest I was getting, but I survived by finding a quiet room every once in awhile to get a few zzzz's in. Honestly,  kids aren't my forte, and I had to find my place at this camp. Younger kids I am pretty good with, but when you give me middle and high schoolers who roll their eyes and act like their momma forced them to be there...well, I get frustrated. By the end of the camp though, I had seen them start to step out and make a genuine effort to get closer to God. It was a great thing to be a part of. On the first day, these kids would barely speak to us. On the second night though, God dropped a bomb on the place during worship and these kids began to dance and sing and cry out to God! I've never seen anything like it really, especially within the Korean culture. That one night made all the frustration worth it, but God was not even done! It was like that every night after! I was able to step out into leadership like I've never experienced and pray for these kids during those times. In that, God was able to speak and show new things to me. It amazes me how God does not just bless the people you are trying to reach for Him; He turns it around and blesses you equally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment